Oct 22, 2006




Ah, yes, DECOUPAGE, sounds familiar, but exactly what is it? A technique of applying paper to a surface and then sealing it for durability...sounds simple enough...

In 1990, I was preparing to open my first retail import store in the hip/funky area of Dallas called Deep Ellum. The bare cement floor had been painted long ago and there were many cracks. With my art background I took the idea of paper on walls and translated it to a floor application. It worked so well I started doing the floors for people who would see it in my store... Now, 17 years later, I have refined and improved the process to be unique and beautiful but most of all, unbelievably durable! It is an artistic creation, each piece of paper is hand torn, then colored, textured and applied. The color ebbs and flows in a very natural way and the sealer gives it a deep, rich color. People think it is stone or leather - they can't quite figure out what it is but they definitely say it is beautiful. I prefer a satin finish but I can do high gloss as well. It is environmentally friendly, too. No toxic chemicals are used in creating the floor and one choice of sealers I use has a very low VOC.

MAINTENANCE: This is the easiest floor to clean. No every-few-years-strip-and-recoat nightmare. Sweep, vacuum, and occasional damp mop is just about it.
DURABILITY: This flooring is pet proof, kid proof, stain proof. It is highly resistant to water. The color does not wear through like stained concrete and does not develop a path in high traffic areas. I recommend caps or felt on the bottom of your furniture but even without these you CAN move your furniture around and not damage the surface. It is not a fragile floor! Minor scratches can be colored in with a stain pen and any major damage can be repaired.
COLOR CHOICES: I can create custom colors using different base paper colors combined with my artistic blend of colorants. The most popular color is a medium, warm brown - easy to decorate with, very neutral, blends easily with traditional as well as contemporary furnishings. I have done red, purple and teal blue, too. We can discuss your preferences and I will do a sample specifically for your installation if it is not a standard color.
HOW IT FEELS: Step onto a decoupage floor with bare feet and you will notice how much SOFTER and WARMER it is than stained cement or tile. The paper creates a natural radiant barrier - excellent environmentally and economically.
Cost: $6.50 per square foot installed for most floors. Commercial installation may have up charge depending on requirements. Ratio of square footage to location of installation may have small up charge to cover time and travel but I will go just about anywhere for a large job. Have paper, will travel!

DECOUPAGE FLOORING is the newest option in flooring. Extremely durable, covers cracks and flaws, feels great, not slippery, custom colors, quick installation, reasonably priced -what more would you like? Oh, yes, it is UNIQUE. Give your home or business that "WOW" look. Thank you for your time and interest in my amazing flooring. Please contact me with questions or to discuss an installation for your home or business.